While the world of online marketing has grown far beyond paid advertising, advertising still plays a very important role in generating profit and business. Digital advertising is the top of the "new advertising stack," and it's what can generate brand awareness, drive sales, and create visibility across a variety of channels that are oversaturated with businesses trying to stand apart.
Although there are a lot of new players in the internet marketing world like email, social media, and reputation, digital advertising isn't going to slow down yet-- a statement that's highlighted by the fact that ad spend is expected to grow from $83 billion in 2017 to over $129 billion by 2021 (DMB Adobe).
We've assembled this list of top advertising statistics so you can spend your advertising dollars where it matters, and get the ROI you need to prosper in the digital landscape.
Stats about Digital Advertising
1. Digital ad spend is set to increase from $83 billion this year to $129+ billion by 2021
2. Google and Facebook are projected to rake in 63.1% of digital ad spend in 2017
3. Google has +20% y/y advertising revenue growth, Facebook has +62% y/y growth
4. 39% of marketers list search engine marketing as their top business priority for 2017
5. Marketers that spend over 10% of their budgets on measurement are three times more likely to surpass their sales targets by 25% or more
6. 56% of advertising use engagement to gauge success, 21% use conversion & profit
7. 34% of social media marketers list "tying social campaigns to company goals" as a top challenge
Video Advertising Stats for 2018
8. 2017's video advertising spend is $13.23 billion, and projected to hit $22.18 billion by 2021
9. 68% of consumers feel positively about viewing video advertisements for mobile app rewards
10. 52% of marketers believe that video is effective for brand awareness
11. Online shoppers that watch demonstration videos are 1.81 x more likely to buy than non-viewers
12. 51.9 percent of marketing professionals around the world name video as the kind of content with the best ROI
13. According to retailers, video can make up a 40% boost in purchases
14. Mobile shoppers are 3x as likely to watch a video than desktop shoppers
15. 46% of users act after viewing an ad
16. 80% of consumers recall a video ad they watched in the past 30 days
17. Combining video with full-page ads increases engagement by 22 percent
18. Ecommerce sellers find that using product videos increases product purchases by 144%.
19. Video ad completion rate for videos 15 seconds long is 93-95%, with 30 second videos seeing a completion rate of 92-93%.
20. Over half of video advertising is watched on mobile.
Mobile Advertising Statistics
21. Americans spend 71% of their online time on mobile, with Canada and the UK coming in at 62% and 61% respectively.
22. Average mobile phone conversion rates are up by 64%.
23. Mobile advertising makes up $37 billion of the $73 billion total ad spend (51%).
24. 81% of consumers feel negatively about mobile ad pop-ups.
25. Mobile makes up 60% of click share on Google Search ads, compared to desktop's 32%.
26. Search ad spending on mobile is expected to increase by 25% in 2017.
Social Media Advertising Stats
27. 70% of advertisers intend to increase their mobile social advertising budget in 2017.
28. 26% of Facebook Users that click ads make a purchase.
29. Photos account for 75-90% of Facebook advertising effectiveness/performance.
30. The best headline length for a Facebook ad is four words, with 15 for the description.
Sources: DMB Adobe, 2017|Smart Insights, 2017|KPCB, 2017|Digital Marketing Depot, 2017|eMarketer, 2017|CMS Report|WordStream, 2017|Small Biz Trends, 2016|WowMakers, 2016.
Contact us to get started with digital advertising for your business today!